Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Composition & Elements of Art

When I think of composition a marbled black and white notebook comes to mind where students write their book reports from English class.  Or I picture a musician, violin on his lap, pencil in hand as he quickly writes the musical notes that are playing in his head.  Art also involves composition.  Most pieces are thought out or pre-planned - they start with a vision in the head.  The artist plays around with the idea on paper before beginning work. 

This lesson involves planning; the selection of six objects and their placement, a ribbon that will create movement by allowing the eye to follow it down the page, three colors and pattern.  It also uses some of the seven elements of art; line, color and shape as well as overlapping.  I like this lesson because it teaches the students how to work within the guidelines of the project while allowing self expression with color, shapes and placement.

I planned to post some student work from class, but I'm still figuring out how to use my phone in regard to getting photos onto the blog.  I think know what to do now!





2 comments:

  1. The kids loved this activity! We have our works of art hanging up as we speak!

    ReplyDelete